St. Philip's is seeking a musically talented, passionate, and committed follower of Christ to serve as Worship Band Leader / Music Coordinator. This 22 hour position includes leading the skilled volunteer worship band in Tuesday evening rehearsal and Sunday morning worship at 10:30 am. Working closely with the pastor, the Worship Band Director helps shape worship experiences that draw the congregation into God's presence, build them up, and send them out to be the people God created them to be. This position requires good communication, demonstrated leadership skills, strong lead guitar and/or piano/keyboard abilities, and a heart for Christ. For questions or to apply, please send resumes to email@example.com by July 22, 2018.
Scheduled office time is Tuesday mornings from 10:00am - 2:00pm, Thursday from 9:00-4:00pm. Tuesday evening rehearsal and worship is Sunday at 9:30am during summer and 10:30am fall - spring.
Worship Band Leader / Music Coordinator
(Revised June 2018)
Reports to: Pastor
FTE: 22 Hours / week
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ willing to abide in and support the identity and values of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church
- B.A./B.S./B.F.A. degree relating to music or equivalent work experience
- Previous work/ministry experience in a worship band
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social networks, etc.)
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to take direction, work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to use necessary office equipment
- Ability to work independently with multiple interruptions
- Ability to work with confidential information in a conscientious and responsible manner
- Self-motivated with ability to see tasks and projects through from start to finish
- Effective customer service skills and an ability to interact confidently with people in a professional manner
- Requires long periods of sitting. Stooping, lifting, and standing may also be required
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly
- Ability to trouble-shoot and problem-solve minor issues with office equipment, computer hardware or software
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Ability to pass required background and agency checks
- Understanding and compliance with copyright laws
- General Responsibilities and Expectations
- Prepare worship PowerPoint slides for projection
- Prepare and print worship bulletins and leader guides
- Rehearse the Worship Band and other musical groups
- Prepare weekly notebooks and music
- Supervise worship setups
- Lead Worship Band and other musical groups during worship services
- Organize and contact members of the Worship Band and other musical groups
- Accompany other worship experiences as needed
- Participate as a member of the worship planning team
- Oversee budgets of all music ministries
Cross-Program Performance Expectations:
- Planning & Program Management
- Organize and communicate all music groups and activities are aligned with the doctrine, values, and mission of the ELCA and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church.
- Develop a stakeholder evaluation of effectiveness/satisfaction submitted yearly to the Pastor
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Establish and maintain consistent and comprehensive communication with staff members
- Communicate weekly music information/updates to the front office
- Organize seasonal planning meetings with music staff and Pastor
- Review bulletins for accuracy
- Relational Ministry
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all stakeholders, program leaders and volunteers, members of the congregation, Board of Administration, and staff.
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Attend appropriate meetings as needed to fulfill responsibilities and expectations.
- Communicate weekly work schedule with the Pastor.
- Other duties as assigned by the Pastor or Office Manager