Worship Band Leader
We are currently seeking a musically talented, passionate, and committed follower of Christ to serve as Worship Band Leader. This half-time position includes leading the skilled volunteer worship band in one weeknight rehearsal and Sunday morning worship at 10:30 am. Working closely with the pastors, the Worship Band Leader helps shape worship experiences that draw the congregation into God's presence, build them up, and send them out to be the people God created them to be. This position requires good communication, demonstrated leadership skills, strong lead guitar and/or piano/keyboard abilities, and a heart for Christ. St. Philip's is an established congregation with a strong worship life that extends the invitation to "Come as you are to Worship, Wonder & Work in Jesus' name!" For questions or to apply, please send your cover letter and resume to Pastor Joel Wight Hoogheem [JoelWH@splcmn.org].
Reports to: Senior Pastor
FTE: 0.50 FTE
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ willing to abide in and support the identity and values of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church
- B.A./B.S./B.F.A. degree relating to music or equivalent work experience
- Previous work/ministry experience in a worship band
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, social networks, etc.)
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to take direction, work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to use necessary office equipment
- Ability to work independently with multiple interruptions
- Ability to work with confidential information in a conscientious and responsible manner
- Self-motivated with ability to see tasks and projects through from start to finish
- Effective customer service skills and an ability to interact confidently with people in a professional manner
- Requires long periods of sitting. Stooping, lifting, and standing may also be required
- Ability to anticipate needs and plan accordingly
- Ability to trouble-shoot and problem-solve minor issues with office equipment, computer hardware or software
- Ability to work with volunteers
- Ability to pass required background and agency checks
- Understanding and compliance with copyright laws
- General Responsibilities and Expectations
- Rehearse the Worship Band and other musical groups
- Prepare worship PowerPoint slides for projection
- Prepare weekly notebooks and music
- Supervise worship setups
- Lead Worship Band and other musical groups during worship services
- Organize and contact members of the Worship Band and other musical groups
- Accompany other worship experiences as needed
- Participate as a member of the worship planning team
Cross-Program Performance Expectations:
- Planning & Program Management
- Ensure all Worship Band music and activities are aligned with the doctrine, values, and mission of the ELCA and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church.
- Develop a stakeholder evaluation of effectiveness/satisfaction submitted yearly to the Senior Pastor
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Establish and maintain consistent and comprehensive communication with staff members
- Communicate weekly music information/updates to the front office
- Review bulletins for accuracy
- Relational Ministry
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all stakeholders, program leaders and volunteers, members of the congregation, Board of Administration, and staff.
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Attend appropriate meetings as needed to fulfill responsibilities and expectations.
- Communicate weekly work schedule with the Office Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor or Office Manager