Position Description: Director of Children & Family Ministry
Supervisor: Senior Pastor
FTE: 0.5 (20 hours/week)
• Committed follower of Jesus Christ willing to abide in and support the identity and values of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church
• Willingness to join St. Philip’s Lutheran Church strongly preferred if not already a member
• B.A./B.S. in Education or related field
• Previous work/ministry experience with children ages birth to grade five and young families
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Ability to take direction, work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
• Sunday School
o Sunday mornings from 9:35-10:25
o Ages 2 ½ through 5th Grade
o Current curriculum is SPARK Online by Augsburg Fortress
• Wednesday Night Programming
o Wednesday evenings between 5:00 and 6:30
o Opportunities in support of other Wednesday evening programming for elementary school students
• Vacation Bible School
o Third week in June from 9:00 am-Noon
o Ages 2 ½ through 12
• Kids Time & Nursery
o Kids Time is a lesson for children ages 4-9 during the sermon at 10:30 worship on Sunday mornings
o The Nursery is staffed during Sunday morning worship at 8:30 and 10:30
Cross-Program Performance Expectations:
• Planning & Program Management
o Develop and maintain a calendar of events and activities
o Ensure proper training and material support of all program leaders and volunteers
o Implement and follow Youth/Child Safety policies
o Ensure all program delivery is aligned with the doctrine, values, and mission of the ELCA and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church.
o Develop a stakeholder evaluation of effectiveness/satisfaction submitted yearly to the Senior Pastor.
o Strive for continuous improvement
• Curriculum Selection & Coordination
o Develop a process for review, adoption, and implementation of appropriate curriculum in consultation with the Senior Pastor and Education Committee.
• Publicity, Promotion, & Communication
o Establish & maintain regular cycle/pattern of communication with stakeholders via church bulletin, web site, The Friend, email, mailings & postcards, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
o Collaborate with the Evangelism & Communication Committee on promotion of routine and special events and activities.
o Utilize the congregations education programs as an important aspect of the evangelism and church growth
• Relational Ministry
o Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all stakeholders, program leaders and volunteers, members of the congregation, board of administration, and staff.
• Leader & Volunteer Training & Coordination
o Recruit, train, and coordinate program leaders and volunteers to effectively carry out the assigned ministries.
• Activity Development & Coordination
o Develop, coordinate, and implement regular and special activities to engage members and grow the ministries.
• Attend all staff meetings.
• Attend appropriate committee meetings as needed to fulfill program responsibilities and expectations.
• Communicate weekly work schedule with the Senior Pastor or designee.
• Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.