If you have a passion for sharing the good news of Jesus Christ with children and their families, there is a great opportunity for you here! We are looking for a passionate and committed ministry leader to serve as our half-time Director of Children and Family Ministries. Responsibilities including coordinating Sunday School, VBS, and other programming. To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to JoelWH@splcmn.org. Thank you for your interest.
Position Description: Director of Children & Family Ministry
Supervisor: Senior Pastor
FTE: 0.5 (20 hours/week)
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ willing to abide in and support the identity and values of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church
- Willingness to join St. Philip’s Lutheran Church strongly preferred if not already a member
- B.A./B.S. in Education or related field
- Previous work/ministry experience with children ages birth to grade five and young families
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to take direction, work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Sunday School
- Sunday mornings from 9:35-10:25
- Ages 2 ½ through 5th Grade
- Current curriculum is SPARK Online by Augsburg Fortress
- Wednesday Night Programming
- Wednesday evenings between 5:00 and 6:30
- Opportunities in support of other Wednesday evening programming for elementary school students
- Vacation Bible School
- Third week in June from 9:00 am-Noon
- Ages 2 ½ through 12
- Kids Time & Nursery
- Kids Time is a lesson for children ages 4-9 during the sermon at 10:30 worship on Sunday mornings
- The Nursery is staffed during Sunday morning worship at 8:30 and 10:30
Cross-Program Performance Expectations:
- Planning & Program Management
- Develop and maintain a calendar of events and activities
- Ensure proper training and material support of all program leaders and volunteers
- Implement and follow Youth/Child Safety policies
- Ensure all program delivery is aligned with the doctrine, values, and mission of the ELCA and St. Philip’s Lutheran Church.
- Develop a stakeholder evaluation of effectiveness/satisfaction submitted yearly to the Senior Pastor.
- Strive for continuous improvement
- Curriculum Selection & Coordination
- Develop a process for review, adoption, and implementation of appropriate curriculum in consultation with the Senior Pastor and Education Committee.
- Publicity, Promotion, & Communication
- Establish & maintain regular cycle/pattern of communication with stakeholders via church bulletin, web site, The Friend, email, mailings & postcards, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
- Collaborate with the Evangelism & Communication Committee on promotion of routine and special events and activities.
- Utilize the congregations education programs as an important aspect of the evangelism and church growth
- Relational Ministry
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with all stakeholders, program leaders and volunteers, members of the congregation, board of administration, and staff.
- Leader & Volunteer Training & Coordination
- Recruit, train, and coordinate program leaders and volunteers to effectively carry out the assigned ministries.
- Activity Development & Coordination
- Develop, coordinate, and implement regular and special activities to engage members and grow the ministries.
- Attend all staff meetings.
- Attend appropriate committee meetings as needed to fulfill program responsibilities and expectations.
- Communicate weekly work schedule with the Senior Pastor or designee.
- Other duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.